Monday, May 13, 2013

Experiencing God - Passages of Growth 8

The human heart, when left to it self, inclines to dissatisfaction and is easily distracted from its true home.  We concentrate on the loss of our powers, our looks, our ability to control events. The paradox is that, the more we learn to surrender ourselves, a more generous and available self comes into existence.
Allan Jones “Passion for Pilgrimage 

There seem to be passages or doorways through which we must go at certain intervals in our lives.  The most obvious one would be the transition from adolescence to adulthood.  The events of this passage are well documented; raging hormones, a striving for independence, a general lack of maturity in dealing with life’s situations, tensions and anxieties caused by bodily and chemical changes, the beginning of sexual activity and all the joys and struggles that go with that.  But are there not other passages in life that are not as well known to us?   

If one were to look at Jesus’ life, three passages are easily observable.  The first would be His baptism in the river Jordan when He was awakened to His own personal identity as one with a special mission. 

“As soon as Jesus was baptized, He came up from the water, and suddenly the heavens opened and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on Him.  And a voice spoke from heaven, “this is my Son, the Beloved; my favour rests on Him.”
(Matt. 3: 16-17)

The second passage for Jesus would be the forty days He spent in the desert overcoming the world, the flesh, and the devil so that He could begin His worldly ministry unobstructed.  This time of purification would enable Him to place the will of the Father over all worldly ambitions, compulsions, desires, and anything else that might become an obstacle to following that inner voice.

His third passage would be in the garden of Gethsemane when, in one final act of surrender and self-giving, He would consent to let go of His very life. “I pray that this cup of suffering may pass me by, but your will, not mine, be done.”

Each of these passages we must also experience.  In fact, life demands it of us.  And the more we resist the movement through these passages, the greater will be our suffering.  We cannot cling to life or the experiences of life in order to retain them because the cycle of life demands that we let them go.  And through the process of letting them go, we eventually discover something of much greater value.  The only difficulty is, that as we are passing through, the fear of being cut off from all that is familiar obscures our vision and confuses our mind.   We experience what Thomas Merton and other mystics call “spiritual dread”. 

I began this book by describing graced moments as times of wonder and awe, as times to look forward to and even seek.  We must realize too that graced moments are also those times of passage, times of struggle, where life is calling us to emerge like butterflies from a caterpillar’s cocoon.  These graced moments can be frightening to us because they are asking us to move away from all that is familiar.  And we do not know what to expect as we are drawn into unchartered waters.  These graced moments are asking us to leave behind all that is familiar and embrace uncertainty.  We do not look forward or seek these times as they go against some natural build-in defense mechanisms that seek comfort and certainty.  These defense mechanisms are built into our physical bodies, our intellects, and our emotions, and they revolt against these moments of passage and grace. 

One such time of passage (and therefore grace) was described in the following struggle noted in my journal on December 26, 1996:

“The weakness that I’m trying so hard to overcome is my lack of interest in my exterior self and life.  This is evident in how it plays itself out in my day-to-day activities.  I struggle to obtain an explanation as to why I suffer from this lack of interest in order to overcome my anxiety of it.  But I am beginning to believe that I may just have to learn to live with this anxiety.

Deep within myself, I experience a sense of security, presence, and peace for which I have no explanation.  It resides there when I am in prayer, in solitude.  During these times, my human outward condition, my weakness, no longer has any relevance.  My striving,  possessions, and worldly concerns disappear into insignificance.  It is within that I am at rest, in peace, knowing that I’m loved for who I am.  My human weakness, which I seem to struggle with so much in my day-to-day activity, are no longer important.  They still exists, but causes me no distress or concern.  My deep inner self presides in silence over all of this.  It is here that I experience my God residing, accepting, loving, nourishing, healing, allowing the inner fire of His love to glow, assuring me that what I search for is here; not in the outward struggle to overcome my human weakness.  God, in essence, will provide the strength, perhaps not to heal my poverty, but to overcome it in solitude.  Faith is the key; faith in God who resides with me in solitude”

At this time, it was apparent that I experienced dissatisfaction with my exterior life but this was more than compensated for by a rich and satisfied interior life.  It often seemed that a solution to such a dilemma would be to escape entirely to the interior and leave the exterior with all its confusion behind.  Of course, on quick scrutiny, one could easily conclude that this is not a solution, little long possible.  

Thomas Merton in his book “No Man Is An Island” touched on what I was experiencing during this time of passage:

“When a man constantly looks at himself in the mirror of his own acts, his spiritual double vision splits him into two people.  And if he strains his eyes hard enough, he forgets which one is real.  In fact, reality is no longer found either in himself, or in his shadow.  The substance has gone out of itself into the shadow, and he has become two shadows instead of one real person.

Then the battle begins.  Whereas one shadow was meant to praise the other, now one shadow accuses the other.  The activity that was meant to exalt him reproaches and condemns him.  It is never real enough; never active enough.  The less he is able to be the more he has to do.  He becomes his own slave driver – a shadow whipping a shadow to death, because it cannot produce reality, infinitely substantial reality, out of his own nonentity.

Then comes fear.  The shadow becomes afraid of the shadow.  He who “is not” becomes terrified at the things he, cannot do.  Where for a while he had illusions of infinite power, miraculous sanctity (which he was able to guess at in the mirror of his virtuous actions) now it had all changed. 

Why do we have to spend out lives striving to be something that we would never want to be, if we only knew what we wanted.  Why do we waste our time doing things which, if we only stopped to think about them, are just the opposite of what we were made for.

We cannot be ourselves unless we know ourselves.  But self-knowledge is impossible when thoughtless and automatic activity keeps our souls in confusion.  In order to know ourselves it is not necessary to cease all activity in order to think about ourselves.  That would be useless, and would probably do most of us a great deal of harm.  But we have to cut down our activity to the point where we can think calmly and reasonably about our actions.  We cannot begin to know ourselves until we can see the real reasons why we do the things we do, and we cannot be ourselves until our actions correspond to our intentions, and our intentions are appropriate to our own situation. 

The way through this uncertain and turbulent passage, I discovered, would be through inward stillness.  In quiet stillness, allowing my body, my thoughts, and my feelings to be at rest, an inner light would guide my way through all the transitional difficulties of passages until a new life blossomed.  And it would never fail that I would be in a better place after than before, emerging once again more whole, more beautiful, and more accepting of the mystery that’s contained in the human journey. 

In the spring of 1997, this passage would take place at the Abbey of Gethsemane in Bardstown Kentucky, the Trappist monastery that had captivated and inspired Thomas Merton for the majority of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment