Monday, May 13, 2013

Experiencing God - Contemplative Beginnings 7

People have the fundamental duty to orientate their entire being and life to God. 
Thomas Merton

I cannot recall the specific time that my new life and prayer took a turn from discursive to contemplative. 

By discursive prayer, I mean prayer that uses the faculties of the mind and imagination in the development of concepts and understanding of God.  In contemplative prayer, these faculties are by-passed, and one becomes immersed in God as mystery, God as love.  It is experiential but not at the level of the intellect or emotions.  There is only a sense of being in God’s presence.

It all seemed to happen quite naturally.  As a result of Diaconate formation, prayer group, and service in the church, prayer became a habit that I grew to love.  Scripture, church prayer and studies became a norm for me as a result of my diaconate pursuits.  Through all of this, I did not cling to any particular way of prayer, and when the time came to change, it seemed to flow more from what I was experiencing at the moment and not from any conscious decision. 

Nevertheless, during times of scripture reflection, reading, or studies, I would often find myself slipping into a silence where all I wanted to do was be still, let my obsessive thoughts fade away, and strangely sit in the presence of nothingness.  I was quite happy to be there for a time, soaking in the peaceful stillness as if some mysterious force was present there changing me and shaping me into something of its own design. 

This was the beginning of the time that I seemed to desire solitude, of not being disturbed.  Mary Anne would call these times of mine “going into my cave”.  And often this time was followed by some form of consolation, of being united with that nothingness.  So rather than being a planned activity as were so many other things in my life at that time, there was a flow about this that made it feel quite natural and right.  As I read and was influenced by the many books of Thomas Merton, Basil Pennington, James Finley, William Shannon, I began to better understand the call to monastic life, the call of a monk or a hermit.  And somewhere deep inside, I secretly desired the simplicity that this lifestyle could bring.  Not that I knew much about it except from what I read.  It just had an appeal at that stage of my spiritual life, even though I knew that such a life would not be possible for a married man with three young children.  I would have to be content in being a deacon with its somewhat active life of church ministry, liturgies, meetings, planning, and all those other things that go with church.  But balance among family, work and ministry would always be an important consideration, and I was learning to feel the effects of imbalance as I plunged at times into too many activities.  These would be times of feeling overwhelmed, out of control.  And when these times would arise, adjustments had to be made so that life would take on some semblance of smoothness.  Yet it was the quiet times, times of solitude, times of just sitting in the presence of nothingness that I would always return to during those times of imbalance.  It often was enough to correct any of the turbulence caused by the miscalculations of how much I could handle, and what activities were appropriate for my personality. 

During the years of transition towards this prayer of quiet, it seemed that my life could be broken down into two components.   The most frequent part had to do with carrying out of the normal day to day activities with job, family, and church.  Those moments were filled with all of their ups and downs, successes and failures, joys and sorrows.   The less frequent part were those moments when I would slip into a space that can only be described as the total absence of all those things.  It would be as if “self” no longer existed, and nothing remained but a sense of oneness with God, which was not conceptual but experiential.  It was a nice place to be, and at time of return when my outward life started to intrude, I ventured back reluctantly. 

In this quiet place, I found a refuge from the indulgences of the body, the twists, distortions and dominance of the thinking mind, and the roller coaster ride of the emotions.  I longed for the times when I could make my escape into this place.  And when I wasn’t there, it seemed that I was fighting the endless battle with desires, thoughts and emotions that would continue to toss me about as on an ocean of turbulent waves.  One of the many journal entries that I made during this time of my life reflected this battle. 

March 30, 1996
“The forces of desolation worked against me today, but I must fight them.  Don’t ask what God can do for me; ask what I can do for God.  If I fall into the trap of thinking and saying: what’s in this for me”, then I make company with strange bedfellows.  But if I think and say: what of me can I give to God today, then I make a home with Jesus, and He becomes my friend.  If I draw closer to God, He will draw closer to me.  Trust Him in desolation.  He is near.” 

April 1, 1996
“Jesus said: ‘In order to be my disciple, you must take up your cross and follow me.’  When we look at Jesus’ life, it was one intimately linked with listening in faith to God the Father, and responding in obedience and love.  Never did we hear or do we even imagine that Jesus said or thought; “what’s in this for me”.  His focus was always:  ‘what can I do to make you aware of my Father’s love for you, or what can I do to make you aware of what the Father has in store for you’.  These are the things that governed His life and determined how He was going to act.  Why can’t I?

April 10, 1996
“Fill me in the sea of your love with love.  Free me, liberate me so that I may fly to you, my heart’s desire.  Help me to know you, to be consumed by your fire.  Lower my anxieties, my self-concern so that I may recognize your truth.  I am a person of short life.  Let my love for you, not be attached to things that hold my spirit down.  Help me rid myself of my obsessions, and give all for all.  Let me meet you and recognize you on the road to Emmaus.” 

My inward stillness, which I began to seek daily, became a place of safety from an ocean of turbulence.  And often, I secretly wished an escape from what constituted the majority of my life’s time in order to be immersed in the quietness and serenity of nothingness, but as time went on, I would discover that this was not meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment