Thursday, May 9, 2013

Experiencing God -Has He Risen In Your Heart 4

Has He risen in your heart
Have you let Him be free
Do you show Him the lock on your door
Or do you give Him the key.
Song by Joe Fahie from “Don’t Give Up the Ship”

Once you have journeyed forward in life and look back, the path that you have taken becomes quite clear.  The events that made up your life and the fruits that flowed from them can be clearly seen; getting married, having a family, getting a new job, a death in the family, etc.  Each of these events causes one’s life to turn in a certain direction, take on a different appearance or create a different perspective.  But their impact lies in mystery as you are going through the process.  To write about the events as you are experiencing them would produce something quite different than writing about them after the events have taken place.  I’m sure the Bible is like that as well.  After all, the gospels and letters that make up the New Testament were written many years after the actual events had taking place.  The authors knew the results of all that had happened as they were writing about the events. 

So on looking back to my late twenties, a time when I was experiencing much confusion and pain, I now see it as a time of tremendous growth.  It was a time of walking on the edge, but a time of remarkable break through.  It was a time of feeling lost, but also a time of remarkable insights.  It was time of uncertainty in respect to the future, but also a time of expanding horizons and new discoveries.  The lesson that life teaches us is that those moments of turmoil are really gateways that lead to something greater.  Perhaps one of the greatest lessons that I have learned in my late twenties was that I could count on faith to guide me through these gateways.  Faith, as I had discovered, became something real, sustaining, and life giving.  We have nothing to fear from faith.  My upbringing might argue that faith means not accepting reality, but faith actually takes us to a different level of reality where hope is the dominant attribute.  And with hope, comes joy; joy even in the face of what appears to be trying circumstances. 

The cause of my pain and confusion was a problem with love and trust.  And pain and confusion will remain until we begin to travel the road towards greater love and trust.  As I have said before, even though we may know this in our heads, it will benefit us little until it becomes an experience of the heart.  And this is where the dilemma lies.  How can we begin the journey towards something as elusive as love and trust when love and trust may be lacking from one’s experience of life.  The lesson that I had to learn, and that each of us must learn, is that you can’t, not by yourself.  Nothing we can do by our own genius, wit, intellect, or personal effort can bring love and trust to a heart that lacks it, "by ourselves".  Until we face and accept this fact, then the fruits of love and trust will remain elusive, and our efforts will lead only to disappointment. 

In my late twenties, I was living a life that had its struggles with love and trust. The love and trust of which I speak had little to do with how we might normally understand these terms. After all, I had a very loving marriage and family.  The love and trust of which I speak had to do with a respect for oneself, to see oneself as valuable, to see oneself as a gift.  The love and trust of which I speak is one where it counts its blessings, smiles inside, senses within the heart that it is special, and lives in gratitude because of these blessings. These special qualities of heart are available to everyone, but many never attain it, or acquire it fully.  The reason for this is that love and trust of which I speak are gifts to be received, not possessions to be obtained. They are as free as the air for anyone who may want them, but many fail to ask.  This is the human tragedy of our time.  Many fail to ask.  Many do not know how.  How can we discover the “pearl of great price”?

My search not only took me to many fine writers.  It also took me to community.  Since my baptism into the Catholic faith tradition, I attended mass weekly with my family.  Attending mass is one thing, but the experience of being a part of that community of faith is another.  Although at times, I would experience a sense of oneness with those around me, largely I attended mass out of some sense of obligation, not so much to the church itself, but to those within my circle who thought it was important..  I enjoyed the services and the music.  I enjoyed listening to the words of wisdom from the priests who presided over these services, but I was not involved in the community.  I was more like a spectator at a football game.  I watched from the bleachers. 

It was during one of these masses that an invitation was extended to all of us in the congregation to be a part of the religious education program.  Before, this would have passed right over my head.  But this time I heard it, and I said to myself: why not.  When I arrived home, I called the parish to express an interest in becoming a teacher.  My invitation was accepted without hesitation, and before I knew it, I was meeting with a group of new catechists to be prepared in this role of teaching a Sunday school class.  This time of teaching not only provided a much needed service for our parish church, but also grounded me more firmly in an understanding of my own Catholic faith.  It was after one of these classes, when speaking to one of the other teachers that I learned about the prayer group in our parish that met on Thursday nights.  For some reason, I was instantly interested.  That next Thursday, I attended my first prayer meeting.  The connection that I experienced with this small group of people began the moment I walked through the door and I discovered a place where I not only felt welcomed but very much at home.  My experience with the people of this small group remains vivid in my memory today even though we have since dispersed and moved off in many different directions.  The songs we sang began to touch my heart as my love for music expanded.  With new found trust, I began to share some of my inmost fears with this group.  I was given the gift of their time, their listening, their attentiveness, and their care. 

Still I struggled much from isolation and an inability to enter deeply into a sense of relatedness with others.  This became more obvious as I continued to meet with this group of people who were so open in their faith.  It was as if that still flicker of inner light within me was smoldering  and one little breeze would blow it out.  I experienced this deeply one cold November evening as I sat at this meeting with the others.  Then one of the other people in the group shared a scripture.  “Let me turn your heart of stone into a heart of flesh so that you may love as I love you.”  It was as if these words were spoken to me personally, and tears welled up in my eyes as I cried out in faith: "Jesus please help me”. 

I cannot possibly explain what happened at that moment.  But it was as if the walls around my heart shattered into a thousand pieces, and I was overwhelmed with a sense of love different from anything I had ever experienced before.  

It filled me with a joy and a love, and I burst into laughter and proceeded to hug everyone in the room, much to their surprise and mine as well.  This awakening that I had experienced caused a shift of priorities within.  Things that I thought were so important for my happiness and well-being fell away.  My faith in God, and Jesus’ brotherly love came to the forefront of my life.  These were not things I initiated.  They happened as a consequence of my awakening to His divine love.  They happened as a result of my asking.  “Seek and you shall find.  Knock and the door will be opened.  Ask and it will be given.”  It was this beginning experience that brought me in touch with the true essence of faith.  It was now clear why the Christian faith took root some two thousand years ago and continued to spread through each successive generation up to this moment of time.  The Holy Spirit was not a fabrication of some mystical writers in ages past.  The Holy Spirit of Pentecost is the same Holy Spirit that continues to transform burdened hearts today.  Unbelievably, I was a recipient of that same Holy Spirit.  Pentecost, which was before an obscure episode in distant history, was now part of my reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment