Sunday, November 24, 2013

Experiencing God - Expectant Faith 106

"And the multitudes with one accord heeded the things spoken by Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.  Many who were paralyzed and lame were healed.  And there was great joy in that city."
Acts of the Apostles

I had a visit from the local Church minister the other day.  He lives in my neighborhood and I was helping him with some financial matters.  His name is Mark.  Mark was telling me about his son who is a wrestler, but because of some amazing things that have happened to him, he now wishes to move into ministry.   One of the things that Mark was telling me about his son is that he needed a fairly large sum of money to undertake the required education to become a minister, and so far this money has been mysteriously coming forth to pay for all his costs.  And it is quite a substantial amount.  Mark said that his son is moving with an expectant faith that the Lord will provide whatever is needed for him to pursue his call as a minister.  "If that is what the Lord wants for him, it will happen" he insists.  And that is exactly what is happening.

As I reflected on the stories in the Book of Acts, I am reminded of Mark's son because those who spread the good news in these stories always moved with an expectant faith.  They moved by a courage and a strength that is not entirely their own.  They moved by the power of the Holy Spirit.

We all know the story of Stephen, the first martyr, who proclaimed to those who were trying to squelch the spirit:  "You stubborn people, with your pagan hearts and pagan ears.  You are always resisting the Holy Spirit just as your ancestors used to do.  I can see heaven thrown open, and the Son of man, Jesus, standing at God's right hand."

Stephen could not hold back from proclaiming the truth of what he experienced from the Holy Spirit.  He lived and moved by an expectant faith, unafraid of the consequences of revealing the truth of what the Holy Spirit revealed to him. 

Following this, we read about the bitter persecution started against the early Christian community mainly under the leadership and direction of Saul, later to be named Paul.  But out of the confusion that resulted from this persecution, the Apostles of Christ stood out as the ones who firmly held to their faith.  Despite the opposition, they continued to preach the Good News.  They continued to move with an expectant faith. 

A particular mention is made of Phillip who went to a near by Samaritan town to proclaim Christ.  Many unexpected things happened as the Holy Spirit continued to work with those who placed their hope and trust in God.

All of this raises questions?  Am I living with an expectant faith?  Do I really believe that the Holy Spirit is present in my life, to bring to fulfillment that which God desires to be fulfilled?  Can I forget my own pre-conceived ideas and plans as to how I think things should go, and trust in God for whatever outcome that He wishes to accomplish through me.  Can I go back to an earlier time in my ministry, when perhaps I said to myself:  "Lord, I don't know what I am doing, and I don't know how this will turn out, but I trust in your presence and love to see me through, and your will be done".

Do we believe this enough that we can give up our self-preoccupations, our own ideas and plans for success, and trust in the Holy Spirit to lead us to places where we would not otherwise go?

Expectant faith.  Not an easy concept in a time when we want to exercise so much control, when we want to define the outcome.  But it was in expectant faith that the early Christian community was founded.

I pray for Mark's son.  I have a feeling he will become a good minister.  Let us pray for ourselves as well that we may live and move and have out being in an expectant faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment