Sunday, October 6, 2013

Experiencing God - To Give Our Heart 47

"Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes in the One who sent me, has eternal life, and does not come under judgement, but has passed from death to life."
Gospel of John

In the apostle's creed which we say every Sunday, we profess our belief in God the Father, His only Son, and in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and giver of life.  Creed, also referred to as Credo, when translated in accordance with its original understanding means: "I give my heart".  And if we were to replace "I believe" with "I give my heart", we come up with an entirely different meaning for the creed.  "I give my heart" to God the Father.  "I give my heart" to Jesus, His only Son.  "I give my heart" to the Holy Spirit, the Lord and giver of life. 

This change in understanding takes us beyond an intellectual assent to a truth claimed.   To give our hearts is a giving of our whole self in faith, trust and loyalty to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  It brings us to a greater realization that the ultimate goal of our Christian faith is not just an intellectual proposition but persons; the persons of the Holy Trinity in which we are called into relationship.

It is through our relationship with the persons of the Holy Trinity that we can say, know and experience that we have eternal life, not just as a futuristic event, but as something that begins right now.  We have, in a sense, passed from death to life.

Christ really lives within us.  If we take the time to examine things closely, we will become aware that within us as well are many false selves, areas in our lives that are in need of further purification and healing.  It is very difficult, if not impossible, for us to heal our own areas of disintegration.  But we know that it is possible if we seek the help of the Divine physician Jesus.  Jesus can lead us to the fullest potential through the power of the Holy Spirit.  I would like to explain with a story.

There once lived a peasant in Crete who deeply loved his life.  He enjoyed tilling the soil, feeling the warm sun on his naked back as he worked in the fields.  He loved the planting, the harvesting, and the very smell of nature.  He loved his family and enjoyed being with them, eating together, sharing life.  He especially loved Crete, his beautiful island.  This was his home.  One day he sensed that death was near.  What he feared was not what lay beyond, for he knew God's goodness, and had lived a good life.  No, he feared leaving Crete, particularly his land. 

Thus, as he prepared to die, he grasped a handful of soil from his beloved Crete and he told his loved ones to bury him with it.  He died, and found himself at heaven's gate, the soil still in his hand, and heaven's gate barred.  Eventually St. Peter emerged through the gate and spoke to him.  You've lived a good life, and we have a place for you inside, but you cannot enter unless you drop the handful of soil.  The man was reluctant to drop the soil and protested.  Why?  Why must I?  Indeed I cannot.  Whatever is inside those gates, I have no knowledge of.  But this soil, I know.  It's my life, my work, my wife and kids.  It's what I know and love.  It's Crete.  Why should I let it go for something I know nothing about? 

Peter answered: When you get to heaven, you will know why.  I am asking you to trust, trust what God has prepared for you.  But the man refused.  In the end, silent and defeated, Peter left, closing the large gate behind him.  Several minutes later, the gate opened a second time, and from it emerged a young child, the child Jesus.  He did not try to coax the man into letting go of the soil in his hand.  He simply took his hand and as He did, it opened, and the soil of Crete spilled to the ground.  He led him through the gate.  A shock awaited him as he entered heaven.  There before him lay all of Crete.

To give our heart, as we say in the creed, is found in the simple action of reaching out in trust, taking the hand of Jesus, and letting go of the tight grip we have on all that we are clinging too.

No comments:

Post a Comment