Saturday, December 17, 2016

Experiencing God 220 The Joy Of Giving

"For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property.  To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away.  He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more.  So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money."
Gospel of Matthew

A few years ago, I found an article in the newspaper called "Questions to ask before you say yes".  If started out with the following story:

"For months, I had spent time helping Jane to understand why she needed Jesus.  As we studied the Gospel story of the parable of the talents found in Matthew, she suddenly recognized that such a truth demanded a decision.  There was a brief heavy silence.  Then, "No".  I could never be a Christian", Jane announced.  "I don't have time for all those church meetings."  Amazed, I tried to convince her that she had gotten the wrong idea about what it meant to be a Christian. But she had made up her mind.  Just then, her children came home from school, and the moment was lost.  Sadly, I walked back to my house.  Had I given her that impression of Christianity?  Did something so vital and wonderful as a relationship with Christ appear to an onlooker as no more than a requirement to attend all those meetings.  I'm still troubled by my friend's conclusion."

We all know the parable of the talents found in Matthew's Gospel.  I don't know if a reflection on this particular parable has ever actually been instrumental in a person deciding not to become a Christian, but I do believe it poses a problem to most of us at times by raising the question: "Am I doing enough".  This can generate a sense of guilt as to the extent of our involvements.  Is this what Jesus intended when he shared this parable with His disciples on the road to Jerusalem?  Although it may be a healthy exercise to reflect periodically on ones involvements, and to decide how best to use ones gifts, I don't think the parable was written for that purpose.  

In its present form, the parable is designed to answer questions as to what we are suppose to do during the time between the resurrection of Christ and our present day.  Are we to sit around idle, preserving the status quo, waiting in wonder for Jesus to return, or are we to get on with the business at hand; being the eyes, ears, feet and hands of Christ for the world.  The problem encountered in the parable story, the servant with the one talent placed it in a hole in the ground.  He was not open to God's action in his life.  He lived with a closed and fearful heart incapable of seeing and sharing the abundance of riches that was part of his graced filled inheritance.  He chose to ignore it, or as it is described, he chose to bury it in the ground.  And because he buried it, he lost it.  

This gives rise to the question:  Am I fully aware of God's presence in my life?  Am I open to receive God's abundant grace and love, and be a carrier of that grace to those I encounter in my day to day journey?  Am I willing to be one who participates, in whatever way I can, in building God's kingdom, right here, right now.  

It has nothing to do with multitasking.  It has everything to do with openness, awareness, and willingness to be a part of a dynamic grace driven process of which we are all a part.  

If our purpose and mission is kept on the forefront of our minds, then the ways and means by which each of us fulfill this purpose and mission will fall into its rightful place.  It should not be driven by a duty filled obligation to attend all of those meetings, or whatever else that is motivated by guilt or shame.  Our action must give rise to a joy, not only from gratitude for the gift that is present, but for the opportunity to share it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment